Wednesday, September 14, 2016

It Wasn't Promised to Me

It Wasn't Promised to Me

The road to college graduation was rough,
Not always having the finances, working full time and being a new mom made it tough.
I had online classes but my computer and Internet wasn't always on my side,
Some assignments I missed and some I failed no matter how hard I tried,
Many days I didn't think I would ever finish college and just sat up and cried.
There were times when finishing a course was a struggle, because no matter what I was first a mother, and she needed more attention than any of it.
Yep, I definitely experienced long nights and early mornings, sitting in class falling asleep because the lecture was boring, but I had to keep reminding myself that the end result would be rewarding. 
I didn't always have money for books or to even pay for class; so, I sometimes prayed just to get a C so I could pass. 
I definitely couldn't afford to drop or retake not one course,
Hell the more classes I took and passed the faster me and college could divorce.
Then I could walk my ass across that stage and be free at last; so, essays, discussion boards and exams would be a thing of the past. 
So many times I wanted to call it quits, questioning what made me get myself into this, because all my other obligations and responsibilities were making me feel like I couldn't do it, especially those times when me or mainly my daughter was sick.
Sometimes I didn't think I wanted it bad enough but because of my daughter I couldn't give up.
I started the educational journey for me, but when I had her I knew I had to succeed, because having a career and not just a job was a part of my dream and I had to provide long term for my family.
And to think about how I put in years of hard work although I wasn't always dedicated, but I had done too much studying and homework to let it go to waste, so that last semester I worked hard and put on my game face, but it hurt knowing I couldn't afford to graduate!
Thank God for my mom and my child's father because they came through, because nothing could ever describe or take away that moment when Kaidy said, "Mommy, I'm proud of you!" 
As you can tell it definitely wasn't promised to me, and none of it came easy, but I vowed that graduation would be a day that both she and I would experience and see, so I made it by being the best mother, employee and student I could be!


Never stop dreaming, never stop believing. Sure, I wanted to give up but I didn't. No, college is not for everybody. But, if you want to go to college, then go for it. Getting an education is something that no one could ever take from you. Do it for yourself, do it for your kids. The accomplishment feels great. Who cares if you are a single parent, a divorced parent, a full time employee, a dropout, and the list goes on...you still have time to turn things around. Will it be easy, no. Worth it, absolutely!

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

©2016. Kiara Giles. All Rights Reserved 



2 comments:

  1. Kiara I Love your blogs and I enjoy reading them. Please, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks boo 😘😘
      Thank you so much for your love and support!

      Delete