Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Freedom

Looking through past and present pictures of my daughter from Fourth of July inspired this...Enjoy 😊

Freedom.

Red, white, and blue,
Well...red, white, and cute.
Thank God that I have the freedom to love on you,
To choose how I parent, to choose the activities we do.

Independence Day yet we're not always so independently free,
But thank God that she has a mother like me.
To teach her all about unalienable rights, the constitution, and the abolishment of slavery.
To try to shield her from as much hatred, criticism and racism as I can,
To teach her that she is beautiful, she has a voice, and she has what it takes to stand.

Black and proud,
Let her melanin pop loud.
Because too many people walked, boycotted and fought for her.
To not live as she pleases,
And take pride in the things she believes in.
Of course just because of the color of your skin, you'll face injustices,
Because sad to say, yes the world is divided but not equally.
So, know that one NO does not mean it's the end of the world,
God will say YES, He has the last word,
Always remember that you ROCK my little black girl.

And if you don't know anything else, you will no this,
"I'm going to protect you from all hurt, harm, and danger until my least breath!
I will fight for you and with you with everything in me until I have nothing left."

Because see we're free to follow our dreams,
To create our own paths and choose our own destiny.
Kaidy you can do and be anything you put your mind to...
So, let your light shine, let your freedom ring!

Parenting is no easy job in itself. But once you add the stress of trying to do it in 2017, in the world we live in today, it becomes ten times harder. It's scary. Everyday I ask myself why or how am I suppose to do it or explain certain things to my child. All I know is that I can only try my best. I can only pray for wisdom. All you can do is keep doing what you're doing and praying that you or your child is not next. I pray everyday for guidance and strength to be the best mom I can be. All we can do is to teach our kids morals, values and respect and fill them with knowledge and common sense about living in today's cruel and unjust society. To teach them to be better than their environment. To remind them that they can do and be anything that they set their mind out to do and be! Instill in them the importance of an education. And most importantly shower them with love.

And I leave you with a comforting promise parents should take to heart...
Lamentations 3:22–23
"The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
His mercies never come to an end;
They are new every morning;
Great is your faithfulness."

©2017. Kiara Giles. All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Some say you do not applaud a parent for doing their job. I ask why not? One day out of the year to thank a parent is not enough. This poem is beautiful and I applaud you for raising your little queen, molding her to love herself, and one day help out this crazy world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Girl yes...one day of never enough. Parenting is hard and it's a full time job.

      Delete