Monday, October 17, 2016

Co-Parents

1 Peter 4:8, "Above everything, love one another earnestly, because love covers over many sins."

Co-Parents

Life as a mom is not the way I imagined it would be,

I always wanted to come home to a family.

But regardless of the situation I love my daughter just the same,

And the friendship we have as co-parents still remain.

At the end of the the day our main focus is her,

No matter what we have going on personally

As parents, the both of us are always there.

Our daughter has two loving parents in her life,

Although we're in two different households she still hears both of our voices every night.

At the end of the day our main objective is always to do what's in the best interest for the child,

We have to put our differences aside

And do what's right because no disagreement should go un-reconciled.

We ensure that she never sees anything between us that's not pleasing,

All she knows is that mommy and daddy are happy and that she's the reason.

As friends we're mature enough to never bash the other parent to the kid,

Kids should never have to choose sides and be put in grown folks business.

We share responsibility of childcare, doctor appointments, food, clothes and the list goes on,

I'm lucky to share a child with a man who knows that no woman should have to do it alone.

No one wakes up and decides that they want to be just a baby mom or dad,

But life happens and it's best to just take the good with the bad.

Yea we had a child outside of marriage and this is not what I planned when I was pregnant,

But we made the best of the situation and we've became great  co-parents.



So many times, parents are bitter because the relationship didn't work out between the two of them and they tend to take that anger and frustration out on the child. I am here to tell you today that no matter the situation you must always remain cordial for the child. And if you have a co-parent that can't do that then you just need to let it go. If one parent doesn't care then why waste your time caring. No one should spend too must time and energy trying to make a parent do what they were supposed to be doing. Use that energy to love your child, to spend time with your child and to show your child that they do have one parent that is available, active and involved. No we are not perfect and I myself didn't sign up to be a "baby mom" but although I'm single and I know that I am not a single parent. Trust I've cried and I've tried, just as any other woman, I wanted it to work. I vowed to never have kids unless I was married and even now I am not having anymore without a ring. However, I am happy that knowing my child has two loving parents. I've learn to put her needs and wants before mine. Parents always think of the child. If I can move on and be happy and be the best of friends with my co-parent then so can you. But if you can't, just let it go. Don't let your child see you bitter. It's easier said than done, trust I know. At the end of the day just continue to do what's best for you and do what is best for your child. I know every situation is not ideal like mine, but you just have to take it for what it is, it's only so many times that you can try. Some people are just not cut out to be parents. So, be thankful for those grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. that are around to help, love and support you. Keep being the best parent that you can be. Keep your head up and remember do what you can and let God do what you can't.

Love Always,
A Co-Parent

©2016. Kiara Giles. All Rights Reserved

7 comments:

  1. Absolutely love love love this....Thanks for these encouraging words...Especially the end...DO WHAT YOU CAN AND LET GOD DO WHAT YOU CAN'T!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I am glad that you took time to read it and that you found some encouragement in it. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Yes Boo, I love this one this is the complete truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks boo. I really appreciate the love and support.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed reading your blog about Co-parenting... what is your definition of co-parenting even when the other parent is on child support?

    ReplyDelete